Sunday, April 1, 2012

Walking in the park with autism...and other adventures.

www.theyellowdoorchico.blogspot.com
Please take a moment to check out the new non-profit that will benefit local children affected by Autism. (Then come back and read my witty recount of today's events!)

     Today was the first time ever that our little town of Chico had a walk for autism. It was fantastic. Run by a very energetic and loving Josie Cline the whole thing went off with out a hitch.... well from where I sat, and watched the people walk by. I waved like a queen acknowledging her subjects as the throngs of enthusiastic people streamed past. My brave husband took the children on said walk. I did not sit out by choice, it's just that a few short days ago I had my gallbladder removed from my body through my belly button.(Neat trick really) This non-essential organ had decided to stop working and as luck would have it my surgery was scheduled right before our big WALK.  I tried to convince the surgeon to take a little extra nip and tuck while he was in there....no luck.
     I loved seeing all the people that arrived for the first ever Chico Autism Walk. I could tell that everyone was excited to be there. I was too, but happy for the bench I found. As each person walked past I wondered how autism had touched their lives. Some were obvious parents, resting a hand on their child as to not loose them in the commotion. Other people were more difficult to place, were they friends or neighbors or just concerned about this ever growing epidemic? The Chico State Greek system helped out by acting as volunteers and cheering the walkers on as they left for this epic journey. I secretly wondered how many of them would be touched by this personally as they finished school, found the love of their life and married. How many young people today will have children with autism tomorrow? They have just changed the numbers again, now instead of being 1 out of every 110 kids, the numbers are now more like 1 out of 88 children. Holy Cow.
     Take in to consideration that, yes we are more aware of the signs, symptoms etc now, but seriously why has this not been declared a national emergency? With my vast knowledge about the subject, (ha ha ha) I declare half of the people I meet fall somewhere on the spectrum. I probably mentally diagnose way more than the statistics indicate. I must admit, thinking I was suffering from an ulcer for the past year and a half instead of a faulty gallbladder, has shaken my confidence as a diagnostician.                                                 So what if this is the case for some of these recently diagnosed. A few years ago it seemed like everyone had carpal tunnel syndrome, now I never hear about it. ADD and ADHD also became popular  recently. What about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Everyone had that too a while ago...the frenzy has died off for that as well. I am not saying anyone of these conditions is not real or worthy of some serious intervention, but why does it seem that we see spikes in medical diagnosis? As doctors learn about maladies, are they trying to please the patient with a name for their problem? Or is it that more people are aware of these maladies now thanks to the internet and Dr. Google so they are rushing to the doctor because they are desperate for help and answers?
     What ever the reason or cause I know that Chico cares about this matter. They care enough to come out on a Sunday and walk together to show their support. They care enough to set up vendor booths, (Awesome job Caroline Rhoady!) and provide a sensory play area for the kids after the walk. They care. I am so grateful for that. I am also grateful for whoever realized that this is the perfect time and place for Storm Troopers to walk among us. I hope that in future years I will be more of an active participant....or that they have a "Sit on a Bench for Autism" day....My family was among the first people to finish the walk and we promptly left. Wearing jeans and sitting turned out to be harder than I thought. Thank goodness it never occurred to my family there was more to come after the walk...I am sure it was wonderful.
     Next year and the year after that, and so on, this walk will continue. It will grow and change and become even more amazing. It will never be the same as today however, when for the first time this community came together to say, "I care enough to walk along side you."
Thanks Yellow Door. You Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment