Thursday, June 16, 2011

Autistic In Chico....

 I love Chico. There are great things in this community. I think some of them are like little hidden gems....One gem in particular is the Chico State Autism Clinic.
     I have talked about this place from time to time here on my blog, this is where Ben goes to learn how to play well with others, how to hit a ball, how to climb, ride a bike and to just be.... I love everything about the clinic. The best part, if I have to break it down, would have to be the people who run the show. Josie Blagrave and Dr. Rebecca Lytle are two of the most amazing people I have ever had the privilege to know.  It is their undying dedication to these kids that have made the clinic a wonderland for my son. I may have mentioned before that if my son sees Dr. Lytle out in public he thinks he has seen a movie star! He has been known to run up to her at a restaurant breathless and crazed, shouting "It's Rebecca Lytle! Its Rebecca Lytle!"
He also has been known to do this to the guy who owns Big Chico Burger. Ben is a kid who knows what he likes!
      Dr. Lytle was a part of the team at Chico State that first assesed my son. (Yes Chico State has an interdisciplinary team that does Autism assessments! The next closest place is Sacramento!) She found that regardless of his diagnosis he was dramatically behind his peers in coordination and physical abilities. She told me she would love to work with him at their clinic. She felt they could help him improve. Boy did they ever.
     When you approach the door to the Autism and Sensory Clinic at Chico State it appears that you will be entering a normal classroom. Once inside however, there is nothing "normal" about this space. There is a giant swing that dominates the room. It changes from a platform to a log to a hammock. It is usually the first thing the kids run to. There is a giant foam pit and a ramp and to the left, a door that leads to the "light room" (a small room with light sensory activities.) The room to the right, holds all sorts of excitement when in use. This is one of my son's favorite places because they have a large wobble mat. He stands on this mat and the staff throws large rubber balls at him to try and knock him off....sounds horrible,( and let me tell you, I was on the thing once.....it was) but Ben LOVES it.
     The thing that is a constant surprise to me is how there are still people in the community that do not know this service exists. I feel the need to enlighten them!
The Chico State Autism clinic was born out of a need. As more and more kids with autism were arriving to a program already in place called KIDSPLAY, Dr. Lytle knew there was a whole group that would benefit from more services. At the time Yolo Hall was brand new.
Josie Blagrave (sometimes known as Josie Cline, because I think she is like a special agent ninja and must have multiple names to protect herself) is the "go to gal" for all things fun at the clinic. She has worked with Ben since the very start and trains students at Chico State to work with kids like Ben as well. The students that have been a part of his life at the clinic have all been amazing. She has started a Teen group, and a Tween Group and is brave enough to venture down town to farmer's market with all the kids in tow. She works with our kids on the rock wall over in the gym, and there has even been some gardening that took place. What ever it is, she is not afraid to tackle it with our kids. She has an amazing amount of patience with them, and can some how get them to all work together. (not something at which autistic kids excel)
     I asked Josie and Dr. Lytle if they could give me more information about how all of this started. I presented a list of questions and because they are the busiest people I have ever known, I only recently received the answers. This is okay with me because among other things, one little hold up for my interview was their trip to India! (To educate a community about what they are doing here in America with children who have autism.) I told you these women are amazing....so like I said this blog has been a long time in the making!
I asked where they get most of thier clients. We found it because of Ben's assessment through the Far Northern Regional Center. (FNRC is a non-profit agency that helps people with developmental disabilities get the services they need in the the community).
It turns out that this is how most people arrive at the clinic. This is not the only way however since they will help all kids with autism. You do not have to have a doctors referral or a referral from FNRC. They do recieve payment from the Regional Center for their services but if you are not a client of FNRC the Autism Clinic will work with you on a sliding scale to help with the cost. They have never turned anyone away because they couldn't afford the service. (again....amazing people)
You want to know how it works? You want to take your child but don't know what to expect? Well that is what I am here for! 
     There will be an initial assessment so they can see where your child needs help. On your first visit they tend to let the child show his or her strengths and weakness. They pay attention to what the child wants to do allowing for the child to feel empowered. While it may seem like chaos to an untrained eye the clinicians have set up a sort of course for your child before the visit. They will lead the child through a "dance of child directed sensory experiences and gross motor object control tests". The parents will be busy filling out forms and answering questions from the clinic staff. All these combined will give Josie and Dr. Lytle a game plan for working with your child.There is a room with a one way glass and a computer set up with cameras in all the rooms so that you can watch the whole process. I usually hang out in this room and play Angry Birds. Josie has had to remind me it was time to leave, and that while she loves my son I must take him home.....Angry Birds is an addictive game what can I say!
So on top of all the great things they have been doing, they are always adding more. This summer is the pilot for "Freedom in Elements" a live in three day camp for teens and young adults with autism on the Chico State campus. They also do a "Family Night Out" a very valuable thing for families with children who have special needs. I know how hard it is to just call a babysitter and go out.....At the Clinic the kids are having so much fun they do not miss you at all!
     I am also involved with another wonderful new program through the Autism Clinic. This was the brainchild of another fantastic woman at the Clinic. Dr.Teri Todd started a family exercise night allowing the parents a much needed time to work out in the weight room while the kids are just next door playing. She also occasionally will have sibling groups to help the brothers and sisters of these kids. Dr. Todd is also the main speaker at our educational seminars at the local police academy. She is currently working on a database to help alert police dispatch if there is a call at a home of an autistic person.
I see great things in the future for this Clinic. I hope that more people know what great things are available to them through the Chico State Autism and Sensory Clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment