Sunday, June 12, 2011

The promise of summer.....

For the first time in 13 years I spent a few days childless. Totally alone. I hated it. Well for the first night.....then I realized all the things I could do! I was amazed at how out of practice I had gotten at just being alone. Just being. How did these days of silence occur?
One word.
Camp.
There is nothing better in the whole world. My children go to a charter school here in town and this school likes to do things differently. Instead of just allowing the 6th graders to go hang out at a camp for a few days, they allow the fourth through 8th graders to go as well. It was amazing. For me and for the kids. My poor daughter was so sick during her 6th grade year that even though she made it to camp with her classmates she only lasted one night. We laugh now at the stories we have heard about how she had to leave in an ambulance, and how she almost died.....nothing that dramatic....just a mom in a car late at night to rescue her poor swollen, puffy, sick child.
So the promise of another chance to attend a camp made her giddy. Until she realized that her brother would also be there. After a heart to heart, some bribery and sadly a threat or two she came to terms with the idea. My son was smitten with the idea. Everything about it screamed joy to him. His teachers were a little less sure.....I was asked repeatedly if I wanted to be a chaperone....to stay at the camp....to stay with my son. I said I felt that would hamper my son's enjoyment of the experience..... He really likes to get away. Away from his helicopter family. Can't say that I blame him.....everyone needs a break.
This camp is wonderful, nestled in the redwoods, naturalists as councilors, and cool summer air to fill your lungs. The problem with the camp is that it was nearly five hours away. That is just too far for this parent. I booked a hotel and hung out while my campers enjoyed themselves. I know this was viewed as odd by some of the other parents but that is just how I roll.
This is how I ended up with two and a half days to just be.
Raising a child with special needs is.....I am at a loss for words. I know all parenting can be difficult. I know everyone struggles with issues. Having children with medical problems takes it to the next level. It is, as I have said before, a parallel universe.
So without anyone to worry about, I was at first lost and sad and a little stressed out. The next day I realized I could do all the things my kids and hubby hate. I could go to antique shops and check out old cemeteries.....look for haunted places with my handy iPhone to lead the way. I had a ball. I did stumble across a homeless person sleeping in a neat old cemetery....or he/she was dead.....really not sure. I noticed a backpack, a sleeping bag that looked like it had been tossed on the ground, then a foot sticking out of the pile. I left rather quickly, not wanting to be shanked by some angry hobo.  I regretted not taking more pictures of that place. It was really amazing. I did this kind of thing for two days, (except the hobo part) I know now that I need to do this more often. Sounds like a cliche to say I need my "Me time" but at least now I get why people say that.
Camp was amazing for the kids. My son went on hikes, enjoyed nature and ate foods he would never touch at home. My daughter felt the same way, it was a success. For three days my kids were independent, self reliant and happy. Amazing. Well I felt this way until I unpacked his bag at home and discovered his toothbrush....still in the orignial box, unopened! I asked him about it and he said, "OH! You packed me a toothbrush?"
eeeeeeeew!
So much for him being totally self reliant. He said he used his finger to brush his teeth....that one of the teachers suggested that. Nice. Aside from that, it did seem to be something he will continue to do. Next year however his sister will not be with him. I can tell you, I will be close by!
I hope that as summer finally arrives in our home that this trend of independence and happy days continues. My kids have been slow in recounting the activities of camp, but my son has shared some stories. Like how he kept an undesirable boy out of his cabin by threatening to show him a "Nipple Family Reunion"
What ever works for you dude, what ever works.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment